Otázka: American literature
Until the end of the 18 th century, American literature was little else than a branch of English literature. The literature written during the period of the War of Independence was mostly of political character.
- The first literary works after independence are represented by books of James Fenimore Cooper – they talk about American wilderness -The last of the Mohycans.
- Herman Melville was the great symbolist among American writers. His best novel Moby Dick is a narrative about the fight between a big white whale Moby Dick and captain Ahab.
- Many people prefer the works of Mark Twain. He successfully wrote for both children and adults. He is known for his works The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
- Harriet Beecher Stowe describes unhuman conditions of slavery in the book Uncle Tom´s Cabin.
- Next significant writer is Edgar Allan Poe with his most famous poems The Raven, The Pit nad the pendulum, the Fall of the House of Usher.
- One of the greatest American poets was Walt Whitman and his work Leaves of the Grass.
- The most important writer of group “Lost Generation” was Francis Scott Fitzgerald with the novel The Great Gatsby.
- The best known writers of the first half of the 20th century are Ernest Hemingway and John Steinbeck. Ernest Hemingway belongs to the group of writers called lost generatio,too. He is the autor of a Farawell to Arms, For whom the Bell Talls or short novel The Old Man and the Sea. To the group belongs John Steinbeck. He wrote The Grapes of Wrath, East of Eden or Of Mice and Men.
The 20th century was full of great writers. For example Joseph Heller and his Catch-22 or Norman Mailer. He is one of the best authors after World War II. His book is called The Naked and the Dead.
Další podobné materiály na webu: