Otázka: Canada, The UK, The USA
– Is a constitutional monarchy made up of 14 federal states
– The official head of state is Queen Elizabeth II. represented by the Governor General, but their role is rather symbolic and everyday running of the country is carried out by the prime minister and his cabinet (currently Stephen Harper)
– It´s the 2nd largest country in the world, after Russia
– It stretches from the Atlantic to the Pacific Oceans
The border between Canada and the United States is the longest in the world
It has only 26 million inhabitants.
It´s divided into 10 provinces and 3 territories
– The capital is Ottawa
– The flag consists of red maple leaf (symbol of land of forests), red stripes (symbol of blood of Canadians who died in the WWI.), and white color (symbol of snow)
– The currency is Canadian dollar
– Large mountains areas are The Rocky Mountains, the Mackenzie Mountains and Melville Hills
– The highest mountain is Mount Logan
– The largest river is the Mackenzie
– The country also has two biggest lakes in the world – Great Bear Lake and Great Slave Lake
– Niagara Falls are situated between the lakes Erie and Ontario
– Among biggest cities belong Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, or Toronto known for its CN Tower which used to be the highest building in the world
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
– Is a part of Europe but it is separated from France by the English Channel
– The population is over 60 million inhabitants
– The capital = London
The UK unit of currency is the pound sterling
– The UK is a constitutional monarchy with the head of state Queen Elizabeth II.
It consists of 2 large islands and 5.000 smaller ones
– The UK is made up of four countries: England ( with the capital London), Scotland ( Edinbourgh), Wales ( Cardiff) and Northern Ireland ( Belfast)
The UK´s flag is called the Union Jack. It represents 3 patron saints ( St. George of England, St. Andrew of Scotland, St. Patrick of Ireland) and it flows on Buckingham Palace when the Queen is at home.
– Snowdonia National Park in Wales is a mountainous area popular with walkers and climbers.
– Lake District is a famous scenic mountainous area with extensive woods and lakes.
– The longest rivers are the River Severn and the River Thames
– Oxford, founded in the 12th century, is the home to the oldest university in the English-speaking world
– Cambridge is a university city dating back to the 13th century and famous for research, including the discovery of DNA
– Hadrian´s Wall is a wall dividing Scotland from England. It was made a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1987.
- Is a federation consisting of 50 states and a federal district Washington D.C.
- The Population is 300 million inhabitants
- It lies in the southern part of North America
- The head of state is the President Barack Obama
- The capital of the USA is Washington D. C.
- currency = American dollar which consists of 100 cents
- flag consists of 13 stripes and blue square contains 50 white stars ( which stand for 50 states)
- and the 3rd most populous (after China, India)
- It stretches from the Atlantic to the Pacific coast
- largest state = Texas
- smallest state = Rhode Island
- the west is mountainous there are the Sierra Nevada, the Cordillera mountain range, the Rocky mountains with Grand Canyon
- the highest peak of the USA is Mt. Mc Kinley (6.000 metres high) in Alaska
- the lowest point is Death Valley in California
- the biggest rivers are the Mississippi, the Missouri, the Hudson River
- Alaska is the northernmost point
- Hawaii is the southernmost point
- The Native Americans were the first inhabitants of the USA. They were primarily the hunters with different cultures and languages.
- In 1492 Christopher Columbus landed on an island, Columbus believed that he had reached the shores of India and he named the natives “Indians”.
- The continent is named after Amerigo Vespucci, another Italian explorer who made many voyages to America.
Další podobné materiály na webu: