Hamlet is a drama written by William Shakespeare. It is a tragedy. is about Hamlet a prince of Denmark. His father was the King of Denmark. His father died and a new king was his brother Claudius. Claudius and Hamlet’s mother married very soon and Hamlet was very angry about it. He hated the new king, his stepfather.
One night a Hamlet’s friend Horatio saw a ghost on the walls of Elsinore Castle at midnight. It was the ghost of Hamlet’s father. Horatio took Hamlet to the walls of Elsinore Castle. The ghost told Hamlet, that he was poisoned by Claudius and Claudius is a very evil man. The ghost asked Hamlet to revenge for his murder and to kill Claudius. Then Hamlet was very angry and he wanted to kill Claudius. But he couldn’t decide to do it. He behaved in a very strange way. And Claudius noticed.
Polonius, the chief minister of Claudius wanted to find out, why Hamlet was nervous and sent his daughter Ophelia to look for Hamlet. She was in love with him. When she found him, he was thinking about life or death and saying: „To be or not to be – that is the question…” He was very angry with her. And sent her away. She was very upset and believed Hamlet was mad.
Hamlet went to his mother´s room and told her:” You have offended my father.” Then he heard a noise behind a curtain and thought it was Claudius. He killed him with his sword but it was Polonius.
Then Claudius sent Hamlet to England. Ophelia went mad and killed herself. When Hamlet returned, he was more depressed. People he loved, were dead, but Claudius was still alive.
Ophelia´s brother Laertes came to Elsinore and challenged Hamlet to a fight. Gertrude drank a Hamlet’s wine, poisoned by Claudius, and died.
Hamlet and Laertes cut each other and Hamlet found out that Laertes´s sword and his wine were poisoned. So, Hamlet killed Claudius and then died himself.
- He was born in Stanford-upon-Avon on 26 April 1564. At the age of 18, Shakespeare married 26-years old Anne Hathaway. He had three children, Susanna, Hamlet Shakespeare (died at the age of 11 due to unknown reasons) and Judith. By 1592 he had become an actor and was becoming well known as a writer of plays. By 1594 he was an actor in The Chamberlain’s Men acting company. His plays are of different kinds. There are histories, tragedies and comedies. He created 1,700 English words. He died on 23 April 1616 in Stratford-upon-Avon.
- His comedies are for example: As you like it? A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Twelfth Night or What You Will…
- He wrote tragedies, for example: Romeo and Julia, Macbeth, Hamlet Othello, Julius Caesar….
- Shakespeare wrote historic plays as well, for example: Richard II, Richard III, Henry VIII…
- He wrote fairy tales: The Winter’s Tale Cymbeline, The Temples, Pericles…
Další podobné materiály na webu: