Vsetín is situated in Eastern Moravia along the Bečva river. The Bečva river is in Rožnov and Vsetín. Their confluence is in Valašské Meziříčí. Vsetín has about 30 thousands inhabitants. Vsetín is a hilly region and the highest mountain is Čertův Mlýn (Pustevny).
The first historic records reporting (historické záznamy) of Vsetín originated in documents dated 1297-1308 and relate to the beginning of settlement in this area.
The process of colonization in course (v průběhu) of 13th and 14th centuries created the structure of the settlement. Then “clearing” colonization (16th century) – it means that they cut woods because they wanted to enlarge the farm land.
In the 15th century was built a fortified settlement in the centre of today´s Upper Town. Then it was re-built into a castle at the beginning of 17th century.
In 1609 Albrecht of Wallenstein (a well-known Emperor´s commander) married a rich widow Lukrecia Nekšová of Landek. That is the way how he became the owner of Vsetín.
He called up Jesuits to Vsetín and initiated (inišiejtyd:)) – a strict re-catholitization among serfs (mezi, poddaní). Religious suppression was the key reason for long-term Wallachian rebellions during Thirty Years War.
About 200 participants (účastbíků) of rebellion were executed in 1644. Vsetín and villages were burned out. Refugees from Valašské Meziříčí settled Lower Town. In 1708 Hungarian rebels attacked the town and burned it almost to ashes. It took decades until Vsetín recovered from that damage. In 19th century Upper and Lower Towns merged.
Half of 19th century was industrial revolution. The first Vsetín factories were Sugar factory, steam saw mill (parní mlýn), factory producing matches and glass works founded in 1868. Since the 70th of 19th century Vsetín has become an important centre of industrial production of bent-wood furniture in the factories of “Jacub and Josef Kohn” and “Thonet Brothers” which belonged to the top world companies of this kind.
(for industries was important wood)
Bubelova knife factory, Josef Sousedík Mez, Tez.
b, TOWN WALK
Svoboda Square is in front of our grammar school
Liberation Memorial – dedicated to the victims of both world wars.
Park Pan´s Garden is the largest park in town
Victims of communism
Roman-Catholic church – The Vsetin Church of the Virgin Mary dates back to the Baroque period of 1683. Earl Jiri Illeshazy donated a new chateau (šetou:)) to the Catholic Church to build a new church. Some elements of the castle have been preserved, such as the corner rondels with the shutters or the console of the former chateau balcony. The church tower was given today’s Baroque character. The church is located of the Upper Square.
Castle – houses Museum of the Vallachian Region
Execution monument – it commemorate execution from 1644
Maštaliska – one of the oldest buildings
Law court – modern building
Old Town Hall – there is gallery and soe offices
New Town Hall – It has been converted into a hotel. ??
baroque statues – In the small park
monument to T.G. Masaryk
Elementary Art School
two evangelical churches – standing nearly side by side and reach the cemetery.
Občanská záložna-Mikoláš Aleš
Commercial Bank – functionalist building
former Rodinger department store – functionalist building
c, SPORTS FACILITIES
Indoor / outdoor swimming pools
7 basic schools
6 secondary school
MGV – 1928
Shopping centre Ohrada
Jednota department store
Další podobné materiály na webu: