Otázka: Geography of the USA
The United States of America is federative republic with Washington D.C. as the capital
- 50 states (forty-eight states lie between the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans; Alaska and Hawaii are not on the land)
- The country is situated mostly in central North America
- USA is boarded by Canada (in the north) and Mexico (in the south).
- The state of Alaska is in the northwest of the continent
- The state of Hawaii is in archipelago in the mid-pacific.
- The country also possesses several territories in the Caribbean and Pacific (f. e. Puerto Rico
- The USA total area is 10 000 000 square kilometers (third largest country in the world) with population of 310 million people ( third most populated country in the world)
- Cordillera: the biggest mountain in North America
- Rocky Mountains: one branch of the Cordilleran system lying in the western states
- Sierra Nevada: mountain chain in the State California(Nevada)
- Appalachian highlands: in the eastern side of the US(includes Appalachian mountains)
- Laurentian Upland: part of the Canadian Shield that extends into the northern Great Lakes area
- Interior plains
- Pacific Mountains
- “Grand Canyon”: (Grand Canyon Nation Park) canyon carved by the Colorado river in the state Arizona
- The highest mountain in the USA is Mount McKinley with 6 194 meters (above sea level). It is situates in Alaska (in the center of the nation park Denali)
- The lowest point is Death Valley in state California; -86 meters (below sea level).
- The Mississippi River: (the largest river system in North America; 3700 km) flows into the Gulf of Mexico.
- The Colorado River: (flows into the Gulf of California; 2330 km)
- The Columbia River: (flows to Pacific Ocean)
- Saint Lawrence River: is a large river flowing approximately from southwest to northeast of North America
Lakes: (The Great Lakes)
- Lake Superior: is the largest of the five traditionally-demarcated Great Lakes of North America
- Lake Huron: The name of the lake is derived from early French explorers who named it for the Huron people inhabiting the region
- Lake Michigan: the only one located entirely within the United States
- Lake Erie: is the fourth largest lake (by surface area) of the five Great Lakes in North America, and the tenth largest globally
- Lake Ontario: is also the only one of the five Great Lakes to not share a coast with the state of Michigan
- Due to its large size the USA examples of nearly every global large climate
- The climate is temperate (mírný) in most areas, subtropical in the Deep South, tropical in Hawaii and southern Florida, polar in Alaska, semiarid in the Great Plains arid (vyprahlý) in the Great Basin
Fauna and Flora:
- You can find almost all of fauna and flora in the USA
- Fauna: deer, buffalo, moose, pronghorn antelope, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, grizzly bear
- Flora: pine, oak, maple, spruce, beech, sequoias (The Pacific forest is the most spectacular of all because of its enormous redwoods and Douglas firs (jedle))
- National Parks: Death Valley National Park (California, Nevada); Denali National Park and Preserve (Alaska); Everglades National Park (Florida); Glacier National Park (Montana); Grand Canyon National Park (Arizona); Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (Hawaii); Yellowstone National Park (Idaho, Montana, Wyoming); Yosemite National Park (California)
Agriculture and Industry:
- The United States are filled with abundant natural resources
- Well-developed infrastructure
- It has the largest national GDP (Gross Domestic product) in the world
- The US is the largest importer of goods and third largest exporter
- Some of American companies are: GM, Ford, Boeing, Microsoft, Apple, Coca-Cola
- The US has many resources: oil, gas, coal, uranium, silver. Products of agriculture: corn, soya, beans, cotton, tobacco
Population and Religion:
- The USA has u population of 310 million people
- The largest city is NYC, which has about 9 million people
- Majority of population is white, but the Hispanics and Afro-Americans occur too (Whites: 80 %, Hispanics 15%, Blacks 13%, Asians 4%)
- The people are religious
- Over one half of them are Protestants, third of them is Catholic
- The leading non-Christian faith is Judaism (1,7%)
- 16% of Americans describe themselves as atheist, or simply having no religion.
- Hawaii: Aloha State is a group of volcanic islands in the center of northern Pacific Ocean. It contains eight main islands, but only six are open to visitors. Hawaii historically belongs to Polynesian culture that is almost lost there, but old traditions and some believes are still present. Hawaiian Islands have very diverse scenery that includes mountains(sometimes covers by snow) rising to 4000 meters above sea level, stretches of barren lava beds, golden beaches rimmed by palm trees, magnificent cliffs that reach 1000 meters, brightly colored canyons, dense rain forest and arid thorny scrublands.
- Alaska: was purchased from the Russian Empire on March 30, 1867 for $7,2 million. Mount McKinley is located here. It is the northernmost and westernmost state in US.
Další podobné materiály na webu: