Otázka: South Bohemian Region
MY HOMETOWN, MY REGION
SOUTH BOHEMIA REGION
South Bohemia is a dream paradise for holidays whether you decide to spend time sightseeing or relaxing. The countryside here offers endless possibilities for visiting places of natural beauty, but also has lots of historical monuments and great conditions for cycling and water sports. Include some charming historical cities into your programme, the most charming of which are Český Krumlov and the village of Holašovice. Both places have been listed as UNESCO monuments. A great tip for romance is the neo-Gothic Hluboká Chateau, fans of sports and active holidaying are catered for at the Lipno Reservoir.
Český Krumlov, called the Gate to Šumava, is a town where you either want to live or at least visit repeatedly. There is a protected monument reservation in the centre, a large collection of the work of Egon Schiele, a fascinating photo studio, and one of the most beautiful castles and chateaus in the Czech Republic. Český Krumlov is included on the UNESCO list.
Holašovice, situated in the middle of the landscape of Southern Bohemia, is surely the most charming village in the whole of the Czech Republic. The pride of this place is the wonderful Baroque farms set around the extensive village green, which even ensured inclusion of Holašovice is included on the UNESCO list.
HLUBOKÁ NAD VLTAVOU
Hluboká Castle is the ideal destination in South Bohemia for history buffs, romantic and sport. Is often described as the most beautiful Czech castle.
MY TOWN – ČESKÉ BUDĚJOVICE
- The town was established in 1265 by the king Přemysl Otakar II.
- It lies on the confluence of the rivers Malše and Vltava.
- The town is famous for two well-known breweries, Budvar and Samson, and for many beautiful historical sights:
- The Square of Přemysl Otakar II. Is the heart of the town. It is one of the largest squares in the central Europe and the second largest square in the Czech Republic with its size 1.7ha. It is surrounded by mostly renaissance houses and the most important of them is the renaissance Town Hall with blue facade and four statues of merchant virtues on the top.
- There is the Samson’s fountain in the middle of the square made by Josef Dietrich. It shows Samson fighting with a lion. The original statue is kept in the Town hall.
- You can also find the Erratic Boulder near the fountain. The legend says that if you step on it after 10 pm, you will wander around the town whole night, unable to find the way home.
- The Black Tower is the dominant of the town. It is 72 m high and you can climb 225 stairs to enjoy the wonderful view from the top.
- There are also many significant churches in České Budějovice. Near the Black Tower we can find the Cathedral of St Nicolas. The oldest church in České Budějovice is the church of the Virgin Mary and the Dominican monastery which was established at the same time as the whole town. We can find it in Piaristické Square.
- It stands near Another famous building, the Salt house, which served as the town’s armoury as well. There is legend connected to the there faces in the facade. It says that there robbers, who wanted to steal the treasure from the monastery, were caught and walled in there.
- In Krajinská street, you can visit the well-known restaurant, the Meat Market. It used to be the real meat market, originally standing in the Square of Přemysl Otakar II but in the times of the king Charles IV it was removed where it stands now.
- Around the town we can see the rests of the town fortification. The most famous tower within its walls is the Iron maiden. It’s got its name according to the legendary mean of torture in a shape of a woman with knives and daggers inside which stabbed the criminal by a single hug.
- Sights – památky
- Sightseeing – prohlížení památek
- Historical monuments – historické památky
- Castle – hrad
- Landscape – krajina
- Established – založeno
- Breweries – pivovar
- Fortification – opevnění
- Samson’s fountain – Samsonova kašna
- Black Tower – Černá věž
- Erratic Boulder – bludný kámen
Další podobné materiály na webu: