Otázka: The catcher in the rye
Quick info about author
- * 1. 1919 Manhattan, New York, USA
- †27. 1. 2010 Cornish, New Hampshire, USA
- His father, Sol Salinger, sold kosher cheese, and was from a Jewish family of Lithuanian descent
- Salinger’s mother, Marie, was born in Atlantic, Iowa, of Scottish, German, and Irish descent, but changed her name to Miriam and considered herself Jewish after marrying Salinger’s father.
- In youth, Salinger attended public schools on the West Side of Manhattan and the McBurney School
- His parents then enrolled him at Valley Forge Military Academy in Wayne, Pennsylvania
- In the spring of 1942, several months after the United States entered World War II, Salinger was drafted into the army (there he met Ernest Hemingway)
- He led a very private life for more than a half-century. He published his final original work in 1965 and gave his last interview in 1980
Info about book
- Published: July 16, 1951
- Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
- Genre: Realistic fiction, Coming-of-age fiction
The novel Catcher in the rye tells the story of seventeen years old Holden Caulfield, who is expelled from school Pencey. He refuses to return to his parents so he roams. He finds great incomprehension from side of adults so it only confirms he is rather alone. At last he decided he visit his sister Phoebe to say goodbye to her before he left. Only thanks to her Holden returns home.
Style and typical artistic media
- first-person narrative
- Great personality
- Use of non-literary terms – generally talks
- The main character constantly speaks to himself – monologues
- Less of dialogues
Holden Caulfield – Seventeen years old boy who is erratic. He’s strays between world of children and adults. He doesn’t know what he’s looking for, constantly dissatisfied, two-cleft = often contradictory, very tender
Phoebe – Holden’s little sister
Professor Spencer – Professor of History in Pencey, who let Holden fail but he likes him and understands him
Robert Ackley – Holden’s classmate from the next room. Boy who doesn’t care so much about himself. No one doesn’t likes him. Holden sometimes talks with him.
Strandlater – Holden’s room-mate in Pencey. He’s older than Holden, He’s athlete, he has many girls.
Hannah Gallagher – A girl who had date with Strandlater. Holden knows her from the past, he likes her.
Mr. Antolini – Professor from Holden’s former school. He lives in New York. Holden caught him at the night when he touched him and ran away.
Alie – Holden’s younger brother, he died of leukemia.
D.B. – Holden’s older brother. He is famous author in Hollywood.
Další podobné materiály na webu: