Otázka: The regions of the United States
- The New England is one of the most historic and culturally rich regions of the USA.
- The New England was settled by English Puritans in 1620.
- they sailed from England
- they wanted to find religious freedom
- Boston tea party was held there.
- There are well-known universities as Harvard, Yale and Brown.
- Because of the mild climate, there are many small farmers.
- This region is similar to England (Great Britain) and there is a high percentage of white people.
- The largest city is Boston.
- There is a beautiful nature. (Appalachian Mountains, sandy beaches)
Mid – Atlantic
- This region was settled by people from different European countries.
- The nation’s largest city is New York.
- NYC is a world center of banking, finance, art, fashion.
- The main symbols of NY are the Statue of Liberty, Manhattan, art galleries, multicultural population.
- This area is well developed – industrial and economical center (iron, glass and steel.
- Other important cities are: Philadelphia, Pittsburg, Washington.
- But in the Mid – Atlantic, there are many hills, fields and farmhouses.
- The region served as abridge between North and South.
- The South is the most typical region of the United States region. (for its culture, accent, history)
- This region was devastated by the Civil War (1861-5)
- a conflict between the South (which supported slavery) and the North (against slavery)
- The North won and slavery was abolished. (but racial problems remained)
- The region has a mild climate suitable for agriculture and is a popular destination for retired people.
- People are more conservative. (religion, morality)
- William Faulkner was inspired by this region.
- There are many national parks. (the most famous is Appalachian trail)
- The Midwest is known as the nation’s “breadbasket”.
- In this region is very fertile soil so there are many farmers.
- Farms are located separate from each other, close to the fields.
- The most important crops is corn.
- Most of the Midwest is flat. There are many lakes. (named Great Lakes)
- Farm family goes to the village or town to attend church and go for social or business meetings.
- The Mississippi river inspired Mark Twin.
- The region’s hub is Chicago.
- The Southwest is the hottest and driest region in the United States with deserts and lovely
- the Grand Canyon
- Monument Valley
- Amazing backdrop for western movies.
- It is home of the most famous American Indian tribe.
- There are Indian reservations.
- Many people from Mexico live in the Southwest. They moved to the region when it was still part of Mexico and they brought Spanish culture there.
- Las Vegasis a center of gambling – There are many casinos.
- Other cities are: Oklahoma, Phoenix, Santa Fe
- They learned to cultivate the dessert.
- This region is a popular destination for retired people (for hot weather)
- The West is a large region and a region of scenic beauty.
- Americans use these areas for recreational activities, such as fishing, hiking, camping.
- In much of the west, the population is sparse.
- It was first settled by Spanish missionaries but now has a varied mix of immigrants from all around the world.
- High mountains run from the north to the south (the Rocky Mountains)
- California is known for its film industry (Hollywood) and hi-tech and computer industry (Sillicon Valley).
- Hawaii has the largest ethnic group of Asian Americans.
- Many people have moved to this region to make a new start. (Western cities are known for their tolerance.)
Další podobné materiály na webu: