Téma: Varieties of English
American English vs. British English
- a different pronunciation of vowels (jiná výslovnost samohlásek)
O hospital [o] B.E. [a] A.E.
Pronunciation of the final R
B.E. car → silent “r”
A.E. rolling “r”
herb, herbal [herb] B.E.
2) Differences in past participle forms of irregular verbs
B.E. got A.E. gotten
3) Plurals of irregular nouns
cactus cactuses B.E.
4) Equivalents X Synonyms
- The same meaning (could not be used A.E. and B.E. concurrently)
5) Subjunctive form (a very progressive form in A.E.)
A.E. They suggest she smoke S only once a day.
B.E. They suggest she should smoke…
6) A different usage of auxiliary verbs (Různé použití pomocných sloves)
A.E. Have you got a brother?
B.E. Do you have a brother?
The decision to create new rules of spelling was political → America wanted to prove that it was a confident and independent country. (Rozhodnutí vytvořit nová pravidla pravopisu byla politická → Amerika chtěl dokázat, že to byla sebevědomá a nezávislá země.)
The rules were adopted by Noah Webster in a book “The American Spellus”
7) The letters which are not pronounced aren’t spelled either.
8) Letters are written in the order they are pronounced
In A.E. there is a shift to words phonetic spelling.
- Queen´s English
- King´s English
“RP” = posh English
a language used at public schools in Oxford, Cambridge,…