Otázka: Great Britain
• GB is an insular state (ostrovní stát). It lies north-west of Europe, across the Channel La Manche.
• The western coast (pobřeží) of Britain is washed by the Atlantic Ocean and the Irish Sea. On the eastern coast there is the North Sea.
• GB borders Ireland and France.
• GB and Nothern Ireland cover (zaujímá) an area of nearly 250,000 km.
• GB has thousands of small islands. The largest islands are the Isle of Man, Anglesey, Wight and the Channel Islands. Orkney Islands, Shetland Islands.
• English Channel, North Sea, Atlantic Ocean
• rivers: Thames (the largest), Severn (the longest)
• lots of lakes in Lake District (Windermere), Loch Ness in Scotland (tourist attraction), Lough Neagh in Northern Ireland (the largest)
• highland zone
◦ Highlands of Scotland with Ben Nevis (1 343m)
◦ the Cheviot Hills (England and Scotland border)
◦ the Pennines (northern England)
◦ the Cumbrian Mountins (Lake District)
◦ Exmoor (English Riviera)
• national parks
◦ Peak District, Lake District, Dartmoor/Exmoor, Cairngorms, Snowdonia
• Historical parts:
◦ England – London
◦ Scotland – Edinburgh
◦ Wales – Cardiff
◦ Northern Ireland – Belfast
◦ London, Liverpool, Manchester, York, Cambridge, Oxford, Plymouth, Glasgow…
• British territory:
◦ Great Britain, Northern Ireland, Hebrides, Orkney, Shetland islands, (Gibraltar)
• Winters are mild and summers are not very hot. It rains a lot and the grass is greener than the Central Europe.
• cool winters, except in Scottish highland areas
• Agriculture – wool, beef cattle, potatoes, barley, sugar beet, wheat…
• Manufacturing – food, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, electronic goods, clothing…
• Mining – oil, coal, natural gas
Places of interest
• Seven sisters – are a series of chalk cliffs by the English Channel. They form part of the South Downs in East Sussex, between the towns ofSeaford and Eastbourne in southern England. They are within the Seven Sisters Country Park
• Stonehange – the very old prehistoric megalithic monuments, which are more than 3000 years old. The ruins stand in the centre of a huge circle 98 m in diameter.
• Oxford, Cambridge (universities)
• Canterbury (spiritual centre of the Church of England)
Další podobné materiály na webu: