1)What do these expressions mean? Define them in English.
- Hula – hawaiian dance
- Lei – flower necklace ( wreath)
- Luau – hawaiian party
- Poi – food made from corm of taro
- Taro – is a plant, hawaiian uses their corms to eat them
- Haole (Howli) – it’s a word in hawaiin language for foreign
2) Answer the questions.
Who „discovered“ the Hawaiian Islands? And when?
- James Cook, in 18 th century
Where can you learn to surf?
- on Waikiki beach
How many same sex couples come to Hawaii to get married? Why?
- 30 % who get marry there, are gay. beacuase hawai is liberal(one of the most liberal states of U.S.A)
On which Hawaiian island is it illegal to hitchhike?
3) Find the basic information about Hawaii. (Wikipedia)
Where does this state lie?
- in the Pacific (ocean)
What is the climate like?
- warm, tropical
How many people live there?
- about 1.(point)300 000
What is the capital of Hawaii?
What are the official languages?
- English, Hawaiian
When did Hawaii form the new U.S. state?
How many main islands form Hawaiian Islands?
- What attracts tourists are not only beaches and surfing but also volcanoes.
- In 1941 Pearl Harbor (naval base) was attacked by the Empire of Japan.
Další podobné materiály na webu: